OpenMaps is an amazing map app to find out what's around you. It's based on Twitter and OpenStreetMap.org, the free wiki world map. It let's you check in to and share OpenStreetMap places with your Twitter friends and has some great & useful map tools like download maps for offline use, route directions and others.
"OpenMaps for the iPhone is gonna do a bang-up job with this task. [...] Download OpenMaps!"
- AppJudgement, Revision3
- Pinpoint your location on the map with a tap of a button.
- Use the digital compass to rotate the onscreen map to match the direction you're facing*.
- Turn off location services to reserve battery if you don't need them.
- Find out more info about places by simply tapping on their icons on the map.
- Search online for a location.
- Advanced users can add custom map types that they can browse.
- Download maps for offline use¤.
- Find out what people tweet around you or anywhere in the world by scanning the map for geotweets.
- Log in to Twitter to read your timelines and view your friends' tweets and mentions of you on the map.
- Send out checkin or comment tweets about OSM places and follow the recent Twitter conversation about them within the app.
- Do some basic edits to the map like editing tags, or even adding new places.
- Calculate the car, bike or pedestrian route with directions¤ between any two locations with the help of online route providers CloudMade and YOURS**.
- Set transit points for the routes and bookmark the routes.
- Send feature requests and bug reports right within the app.
- Vote on these ideas and talk about them with other users, letting us know what your favorite ones are.
Follow @OpenMapsApp on Twitter for updates.
* Your device must have a digital compass built in in order for this feature to be available.
** YOURS online route provider has some limitations, such as no turn-by-turn directions, no support for transit point routing and long (> 200 km) routes.
¤ Feature available via in app purchase.